10th ANNUAL Pan-Orthodox Retreat at Holy Virgin Cathedral: SUNDAY, APRIL 2, 2017
Services are conducted DAILY at the Cathedral:
Liturgy at 8:00 am, Vespers & Matins at 6:00 pm.
Subscribe to Mailing list
Please help support our Cathedral by clicking on the Donate button below. God Bless you!
- This year the Russian Orthodox Church celebrates the 300th anniversary of the repose of St. John of Tobolsk – he was a direct ancestor of our St. John of Shanghai and San Francicso. On June 23, the Liturgy on the feast of St. John of Tobolsk, as has been the tradition here at Holy Virgin Cathedral since 1994, was served in the lower church of the Finding of the Relics of St. John of SF. Following the solemn Liturgy the cathedral dean, Archpriest Peter Perekrestov, offered a homily dedicated to St. of Tobolsk and then Bishop Theodosy and the clergy took part in a procession to the cathedral and a Molieben was served to both Saint John's.
- The Holy Virgin Cathedral Parish Council is busy preparing for the 50th anniversary of the church building. There are numerous repairs and upgrades that need to be made, including roof repairs and the restoration of the five cupola crosses. Estimates of work have been submitted and an appeal is in the process of prepared.
- A number of cathedral beautification and altar upgrade/painting projects under way. Ian Hirsh Painting has completed the painting of a number of panels and the corridor behind the altar area and AG Construction has donated all materials and labor costs for the reconstruction of the deacon's vestry in the left wing of the altar corridor area. A big thank you to AG Construction! The next project is the priest's vestry on the right side of the altar area.
- His Grace Paisie, Bishop of Lugojanul (Romanian Orthodox Church), was the main celebrant of the Akathist service before the relics of St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco on Thursday, July 2. This service gathered many people who honor and have a great love for St. John, including a large group of Romanians from the San Jose area and pilgrims from Toronto (Canada) and Los Angeles.
- Four bishops headed the St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco celebration on Saturday, July 4: His Eminence Archbisho Kyrill, His Grace Bishop Theodosy, His Grace Bishop Paisie of Lugojanal and His Grace Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan. Following the Liturgy and procession the cathedral sisterhood offered a wonderful meal to all the faithful. Thank you to all the sisters and parishioners who helped!