Cathedral News, September 30
- On Sunday, September 6, His Grace Bishop John of Naro-Fominsk (Administrator of Patriarchal Parishes in the US) was present at the late Liturgy at Holy Virgin Cathedral. Bishop John received the Holy Gifts and prayed at St. John's relics.
- On Thursday, September 10 His Grace Bishop Veniamin of Borisovsk (Minsk Diocese, Byelorussian Exarchate) visited Holy Virgin Cathedral and the relics of St. John. Vladika Veniamin communed at the Divine Liturgy and then served a Molieben at St. Joh's relics.
- On Sunday, September 13 special petitions and prayers were offered at the Divine Liturgies for winds to change and rain to fall in areas of California that are struggling with forest fires, especially the two monasteries that were threatened by fire: the Life-Giving Spring Monastery in Dunlap and the St. Silouan Monastery near Sonora. By God's mercy it began to rain that afternoon and the next day!
- On Sunday, September 13 a special Memorial service (Panikhida) was held on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the repose of Bishop Alexander (Mileant), who was the rector of the Protection Church on Argyle Street in Hollywood for over 35 years and a well-known missionary.
- On Wednesday, September 23, a Panikhida was held on the occasion of the 15th anniversary of the repose of the Ever-memorable Archbishop Anthony (Medvedev), who was our cathedral record for over 30 years.
- Two cupolas were gold gilded in preparation for our cathedral's 50th anniversary celebration: on the parish "Joy of All Who Sorrow" icon shrine and on the main altar table of preparation canopy. The work was done by Pavel Tikhomirov.
- A generous anonymous donor in Moscow covered the cost of a new St. George icon and shrine, which were made in the Kursk Region and installed by Peter and Paul Bogatsky in our cathedral.