Cathedral news: October 31
- The cathedral renovations are in full swing and there are workers on site daily, both inside and outside of the cathedral, in preparation for the 50th anniversary. The painting, cross restoration and extra unforeseen cupola repairs will not be completed, as well as the new altar and ambo floor, for November 6, but there is good momentum and the mood is extremely upbeat, especially with the new cathedral color scheme!
- The Taste of Russia Parish Festival was a great success this year with an exceptional turnout. Thank you to all the organizers, volunteers, supporters and guests – SPASIBO!
- In October the cathedral had numerous guests, including a monastic delegation from the famous Pochaev Monastery in the Ukraine, Archpriest Dimitry Pozdnaev of the Russian Orthodox community in Hong Kong, Archimandrite Alexander from Dubai, Hieromonk Alexei of Moscow's Danilov Monastery, Archimandrite Sergius – abbott of St. Tikhon's Monastery in Pennsylvania and the Secretary of the Diocese of Orsk (Russia) – Archpriest Sergei Baranov. October pilgrims came from as far away as Russia, the Ukraine and Germany.
- On October 23 Warden Emeritus Anatol Buchel passed away after a long illness. He was the cathedral warden from 1992-1995. His low-key approach, calmness and organizational skills proved very effective in a period of transition at the cathedral. Tony was a dedicated husband, father, grandfather. May he rest with the saints!
- Among the numerous cathedral 50th projects was the installation of a new internal intercom system between the altar, candle desk, choirs, office and small hall. In the course of a week new wiring and telephone units were professionally installed. The work was done by Applied Video Solutions and donated by the company's president, Igor Shimolin – thank-you!
- An anonymous donor in Russia sponsored the order of two new sets of Holy Table covers for our main altar: gold parchment and black embroidered velvet. Thank you! It so nice to see so many people trying to help out and making special donations for the cathedral's 50th!