|Week of March 8-15, 2015|
● The first weekly lenten discussion on "The Gospel and Orthodox Life" took place on March 1 at Archpriest Serge Kotar's house. The next discussion will be on March 8. The group starts the meeting in the cathedral at 6:00 pm for the Sunday vesper service and then at 6:30 pm proceeds to the Kotar residence at 451 27th Ave. for the discussion. All are welcome to attend. Both the vespers and the discussion are done in English. Please read Fr. Serge's sermon for Forgiveness Sunday in the SERMONS section of our website.
● This year the Lenten Pastoral Conference of the Western American Diocese clergy will once again be hosted by the Old Cathedral on Fulton Street. It will begin on Monday evening, March 9. The clergy of the diocese will be present and will conduct all of the daily services starting with Monday evening and ending with the hierarchal liturgy on Wednesday March 11 (at the Old Cathedral). This is a good chance to see all of the clergy of our diocese and to meet them.
● On Monday, March 9, the Church remembers the Second and Third Finding of the Head of St. John the Baptist. A liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts will be celebarted at 9:00 am.
● A Panihida (at the Old Cathedral on Fulton Street) for the ever-memorable Metropolitan LAURUS will be served by the participants of the Western American Diocese Lenten Clergy Conference on Monday March 9, at 7:00 pm. All who honor his memory are welcome to attend.
● The Holy Virgin Cathedral Choir will present a concert of Sacred Music on Sunday, March 8, 2015 at the Star of the Sea Catholic church on Geary Boulevard. Tickets are $20, $15 seniors at candle desk.
● The first lenten get-together with Archimandrite Irenei at St. Tichon's church on 15th Avenue will be on March 4 at 6:00 pm. All are welcome to participate.
Cathedral is now open every day 8 am to 8 pm.
All major credit cards accepted at candle desk.
Last week: Which 9th century saint was known as the only man who "obeyed neither the emperor nor the patriarch"?
ANSWER: St. Nikita the Confessor, April 3/16 No winners.
"Let my prayer arise as incense before Thee!" are who’s words?